Thursday, July 24, 2008

Referral system in cricket on!!!

Cricket is about to take a leap of faith in technology with the trial of a system that allows players to challenge the decision of the on-field umpires in the Test series between Sri Lanka and India. The umpire's word will no longer be final. The system has been tried, somewhat unsuccessfully, and in the relatively obscure environment of county cricket. But,after a shelved proposal to use it in the current England-South Africa series, millions of television viewers now await the sight of the first-ever referral to be made in an international contest. The jury is out on whether the move is designed to undermine the umpires or to assist them, but the acceptance of the system will depend by the decisions it produces.This also comes in the wake of some bitter incidents that took place, particularly in the Sydney test between India and Sydney. So, this referral system is bound to make a difference in cricket and most teams have supported it.

3 comments:

raja said...

We are yet to see how it works in the long run. So far only one match is over using this...

There are cases where fair play may not be upheld in test cricket. Say for example a team with 10 minutes to play to save a test with a couple of wickets in hand may deliberately ask for a bowled or a catch in the deep to be reviewed. In fading light this might help them!

I don't know how this system is going to be brought about in limited overs cricket. How many reviews per innings? The loop-holes in this system are yet to be exposed. Only time will tell.

moving quote moving said...

Hi you are doing a great job. I was looking for this information. I found it on your page its really amazing.I am sure that these are your own views. I hear exactly what you’re saying and I’m so happy that I came across your blog. You really know what you’re talking about, and you made me feel like I should learn more about this. Thanks for sharing useful information; I’m officially a huge fan of your blog.

thiqar said...

Nice article and thank your valuable information and I wish you luck

ss_blog_claim=2d095db1014a1a1fdfed4ba3cd68f257